This past weekend I started on my subfloor. I had both my Dad’s and my sister’s help for the entire process. It took a total of three full days of construction. Prep work the week before included fifteen hours of painting, about an hour of ripping down the joists and several hours of laying out the joist positions on five sheets of painted plywood. The entire subfloor took about 80 man-hours.
My Dad took care of ripping down 1-1/2″ x 2″ joists from 2x10s and 2x12s. This provided maximum yield from off-the-shelf lumber.
I spent each evening for five days painting the subfloor components for extra protection. This totaled 10 sheets of plywood and over 300 feet of 1-1/2″ x 2″ joists. I used both primer and recycled paint.
Next, I laid out the joist locations on the 5/8″ subfloor plywood.
Saturday morning we all teamed up to assemble the subfloor sections with Loctite construction adhesive, ringshank nails and decking screws.
We applied GAF underlayment directly to the trailer to prevent direct contact between metal of the trailer and the wood subfloor.
We placed each of the subfloor sections on the trailer to ensure a good fit. Once we were satisfied with all the sections, we attached each section to the trailer with self-tapping metal screws and the sections to each other with more ring shank nails.
All three of us made short work of cutting and inserting the 2 layers of 3/4″ insulation.
Filling the gaps between the insulation with spray foam was messy, but fun.
Capping off the subfloor went smoothly. We finished it off with more decking screws. We then used a router to clean up the edges.
I left this post as a fairly simple overview so not to bog down readers with overly detailed information. If you have specific questions about any of the construction aspects please leave a question or comment below.