I tried an experiment with my tomato plants this season that I wanted to share. Based on my earlier raised bed garden design, I thought I could improve on the typical tomato cages that I had been using. I used a 6″square field fence and zip tied panels of it to the PVC frame, folded it over the top and down the other side.
As the tomato plants grew, I hung a string of jute, or any other cord I had handy, above each one. When the plant needed support I looped it loosely around the base of the plant and carefully wound the plant around the hanging cord. As the plant grew taller I kept winding the plant around the cord until it offered enough support.
This was my best harvest so far with well over 200 tomatoes from about 18 plants. This does not include the dozens that were lost to the squirrels.